Friday, April 30, 2010

Mouse and hawk 4

"Much to discuss?" the hawk scoffed. "Are you joking? I could eat for a week on you, cat!"

"But it is about the game," I stammered. "You know, the game. I run, you chase..."

"No," she replied, "its about eating you."

"How about some nice fat juicy worms?" I said, trying not to plead. "I'll even help you dig."

"Worms? Disgusting! What do I look like, a Robin or some annying little sparrow?" She flapped her mighty wings.

"How about McDonald's? There's a dumpster just behind the restaurant. Humans throw away tons of food; hamburger, chicken, and a meat-like substance they call nuggets.

"Sweet mother earth!" she cawed. "Now you have me picking trash like a common blackbird!"

Behind her I could see the mouse had convinced the squierrels of something. Just what they were up to I had no idea. Clearly my arguments and pleading with the hawk were having little effect. I was playing for time now.

"Just saying, I only just got into this skin recently and I'd sort of like to keep it for a while."

"Not my problem," she poked her head under the chair. We were beak to whiskers. That distnce varied as I trembled with fright. I couldn't have gotten any closer to the wall without being a brick. From the corner of my eye I spied Smudge creeping across the yard to join the mouse and squirrels. I turned and looked into the deadly serious pools of the hawk's dark eyes.

"Let me ask you a question," I swallowed hard.

"Quickly, I'm starving here."

At least I was content to meet mother Earth knowing Smudge, the Mouse and squirrels were willing to risk themselves for me. I wasn't sure I could allow them to do that. The proper course seemed to go bravely as a sacrifice. Across the yard Smudge must have seen that look in my eyes. Her gaze narrowed, warning me against doing anything rash and turned to urge the other animals to hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment