Monday, March 22, 2010

Mouse and Hawk 3

It was a desperate leap…and long! My hind legs pushed away from the patio with every ounce of strength I could muster. I prayed that it would be enough, all the while knowing that the odds favored me becoming the hawk’s supper. I heard the thunder once again as the hawk’s mighty wings beat at the air behind me. There was nothing more I could do. In mid air life and death was fully a matter of luck and physics. At that moment I was hoping luck rather than mere physics was in my favor.

I landed just short of the chair, tumbling sideways for the last few feet. With a resounding thump, I came to an unexpectedly sudden stop against the wall. It left me momentarily disoriented, shaking away the impact of the wall. When I turned I was practically snout to beak with the largest hawk I could ever have imagined.

I pressed flat to the wall, as that great feathered predator tried his best to press those broad shoulders between the legs of the chair. I pressed flat to the wall, keeping just out of reach of her powerful beak and sharp claws. For the moment I was safe, but she had one fundamental advantage. I couldn’t remain there forever. Eventually I’d have to come out and, unless the odds somehow changed in my favor, I was doomed.

Across the yard I could see the squirrels and mouse well hidden among the clustered flower pots. The pots presented something of a maze should the hawk suddenly turn her attention, which seemed unlikely. The mouse made a valiant attempt to come to my aid. The squirrels dragged him back, admonishing him for what would have been sheer suicide.

The hawks giant and jagged beak snapped murderously, close enough that I smell the scent of fresh dirt and worms on her breath. I pressed my little body just as tight to the wall as possible. Still the great bird inched closer, forcing itself under the chair. I was done for. There was no escape, and one hope left.

“Wait!” I cried. “Hold on!”
I was thinking of the mouse, and how reason and understanding had made the difference. The hawk paused in her ravenous pursuit. She cocked her head to one side and gave me the oddest look.

“Pardon?”

“We’re civilized creatures, for Mother-Earth’s sake!” I pleaded. “Can we discuss this rationally?”

“What’s to discuss?” said the hawk, standing straight.

Even though she was poised to devour me, I found her absolutely magnificent. She was strong and proud, with long straight speckled feathers. Her eyes were as dark and polished as black obsidian. For a moment, I as a lowly cat, almost felt I was violating some great natural law in resisting her at all. Still, I was hardly more than a kitten and it was such a big world that I was eager to experience and explore. Across the yard I could see that the mouse was leading the squirrels to some sort of plan. I would do my best to convince the hawk all I could. Failing that, I would stall her until the mouse and squirrels put their plan into action.

“Much, my speckled feathered foe,” I said, relaxing just a bit. “We have much to discuss.”

No comments:

Post a Comment