Wednesday, March 3, 2010

MOUSE AND HAWK 1

I stretched my arms and legs on the patio, turning my furry brown belly towards the bright late winter sun. The world seemed a perfect place, at least as perfect as a mortal being could hope. I felt wonderful for allowing that little mouse go. The moment truly felt satisfying and illuminating, revealing a power I had never before realized.

Choice is a powerful thing. It can hold as many dangers as blessings. Often the dangers inherent in choice far outweigh the blessings, with so many of those dangers, I was discovering, as blessing. But a full knowledge on how best to use the power of choice is what separates cats from the lowly creatures of the world. That wisdom allowed me the best choice in causing the least amount of pain in the end.
So Mister Mouse was almost correct. It was about the game. More than that it was about the power of choice. A whole new world had opened to me, one that opened my heart as never before.

To be honest, I hadn’t given him the chance to live. He had earned it fair and square. He had argued and fought for his life. Being physically larger and stronger I had the power to ignore his assertion, but in doing so what did I risk? What would be the cost to my feline heart and soul? If I had decided to eat the little guy I was putting my desire above his.

To be clear, it was about desire and not about need. I had the desire but no need to eat him but not the need.

Of course, life is never that simple. There was that law of the jungle thing, and cat’s got to eat. But remember, choice is about having the wisdom to decide the path through the least amount of pain. I had a bowl full of cat food on the kitchen floor. It may have been my nature to stalk and hunt that little squirrel, but it wasn’t a necessity.
So I stretched and closed my eyes. My tail beat back and forth with a carefree laziness. Little did I realize the danger looming high above the courtyard. Not even the mouse and squirrels playing for birdseed against the far wall knew what lay concealed in the glare of the sun, biding its time and waiting for the right moment to strike…

No comments:

Post a Comment