Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mouse 3

"Watch your breathing," cautioned Smudge, leaning precariously over the edge of the couch. "Any mistake and that little bugger will certainly capitalize on it."

The mouse turned away for a moment. I took advantage, rising up a bit on my fat paws, wagging my butt a bit to get the best footing. then, just as I was about to leap, the mouse turned, peering through the glass of the patio door, as though he could sense his impending doom. Smudge saw it too and froze as I had, hardly daring even to draw a breath.

"Wait for it," Smudge whispered.

"He knows," I replied at barely a whisper.

The mouse sniffed suspiciously at the air, whiskers wagging, nose search out what the mouse's little brain suspected.

"He suspects," said Smudge. "that's the diff..."

The mouse turned away for just a second. Fearing it would be my last chance, I bolted. in the blink of an eye, a literal blur, I was through the door. Planting my front paws solidly, I was already leaning into the hard turn taking me directly at the tiny bit of fluff. My back paws cam down before the creture had a chance to react. The mouse's end in this world was heartbeats away.

I sprang forward, stretching to breach the final distnce. Over-confident, I resolved to come down directly upon the mouse and put Smudge to shame. After such a feat of precision and dexterity she would have to show me a little more respect. But I had overplayed my ability, while under estimating the mouse.

At the last instant the critter turned and leaned back steeply. I tried to adjust but came down awkwardly, rolling sideways as the mouse flipped backwards and bolted for the tall grass. Once there, I knew, he would have the best chance of escape. Coming quickly to my feet, I was resolved to rob that mouse of any chance. I was a hunter now, focused fully on the mouse as a thing and not a living and breathing creature like I was. I had lost all mercy, now rulled fully by instinct and desire.

The mouse was running across the patio with all its might. I could feel the creature's terror as I charged forward. Those tiny feet and legs were simply no match for me. In a single brilliant move I came down between the grass and the mouse. For a moment we were almost nose to nose, staring intently at one another. the mouse's tiny face was filled with fear and dread. In those little black eyes my face was reflected. It was the face of a ravenous predator.

I rose up a bit, not taking my eyes from the mouse's. It's ears dropped back as though conceding the end. I resolved, at least, to make it an honorable end. One swipe of my claws and the critter would be done in the blink of an eye.

"Don't make this any harder than it needs to be," I growled low.

"Do what you must," said the mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment