Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mouse 5

"You little son of an alley cat!" I exclaimed.

I looked wildly around but there was no sign of that mouse. Standing dead center on th patio it was inconceivable he could have escaped, or made a run for it without me seeing. That left just one place.

before I could look beneath my fury belly something crawled up my tail. I spun around and bit down hard, finding only my tail. With a cry of pain I dashed into the yard. The mouse was scrambling along my back, nosing his way through the thick brown fur there.

I rolled onto my back, thrashing in the snow and grass, but he held on tight with those tiny little paws. I might have admired the little fellas tenacity. For the moment we were locked in mortal combat. Hugging close to my neck the mouse weathered the worst of what I had to offer. I rolled back and forth, washed my claws over my ears and did a wild twisting flip in the air, but nothing could shake him.

Finally, exhausted, gulping in air I could fight no more. he had won, at least for the moment. In truth I was humbled and awed by the little guy's bravery. Maybe it was too soon to use the "Respect" word, but it was close.

"Fighting for my life here, mate," said the mouse, leaning close to my ear. "I will stay to this battle to the last if I must."

I bowed my head and nodded. "Name your terms."

No comments:

Post a Comment