Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mouse 6

The mouse paced back and forth before my face. My eyes watched intently. One false move on his part and I would pounce, and this time he would not get away. Still, I was prepared to listen to what the little guy had to say. He'd earned my respect fairly and I was bound to be a gentlman about it all. I was a cat, not an animal, for Mother Earth's sake! I couldn't say as much for Smudge, watching hungrily from the door.

"Make your case," I said.

He paused, glancing a bit nervously at Smudge. "A bit disconcerting with the threat of imminent death looming over me."

"Don't worry about her, my smooth-tailed friend, the thret would be there anyway."

"So, you do not come to this equitably?"

"You are still here, able to speak your mind," I said. "That should count for something."

"Indeed, though I would have preferred earned respect than merciful consideration."

I nodded and urged Smudge away with a nod of my head. When she refused to budge, hardly taking her eyes off the mouse I stood and gave a little hiss. She understood my meaning, though she wasn't altogether moved by it. With a shake of her head, as if I was being foolish, Smudge turned and disappeared into the house. I turned back to the mouse, settling to the patio on my belly.

"You're a clever mook," I said. You have both my respect and consideration."

"With the specter of violence," he observed.

"The consideration is at odds with my nature, but you have all I can offer."

The mouse sighed and nodded thoughtfully, considering the words. "Very well then. With your indulgence, my sharply-clawed friend, I will state my case...

No comments:

Post a Comment