Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Rain

The house was quiet and empty. I awakened from a nap to a long low lonesome wail. Smudge sat upon the shelf in the window, beside the Lavender plant in the big maroon pot. Without disturbing her I loved a bit closer and listened…

“Oh, the Rain, the Rain
Lament the Rain, falling from tattered funeral clouds,
These heavenly tears for eyes that cannot cry.
Rain, dearest Rain,
Wash away this sorrow and make me new again,
For I cannot battle them alone.
Oh, Rain, beautiful Rain,
If you cannot soothe this breaking heart,
Have mercy enough to drown me.
But you cannot hear this lament,
Nor do you hold any real mercy for these eyes that cannot cry.
And so I am left with but one refrain,
A sigh that plays itself again and again,
Oh, the Rain, the Rain…”
Beautiful,” I said.

Smudge turned suddenly, obviously unaware I was there. Her eyes narrowed as she leapt from the shelf and rushed past into the bedroom. I waited a moment before following cautiously. I found her on the bed, kneading the green blanket, as usual. What pain she must be feeling, I thought. I could hardly imagine such heartache, but, as a I turned away and left her alone, I was more determined than ever to find the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment