Sunday, November 22, 2009

Squirrels!

"Cut loose, toots," I complained. Smudge was up on the shelf, as aloof as ever. But a cat gets lonely. A fella can only chase his tail and hide stuff under rugs so long.

"Listen," I say, almost begging, "ain't lookin' for nothin'but the time of day, see?"

Nothing. Not a shrug or a sneer. It is like I don't even exist. Well, a fella can just take getting shot down so much before he starts looking for other horizons. So, I turned, started for the food bowl. Figured I slam down some grub, such as it is. Cat's gotta keep up his strength.

"Wait," she said, almost reluctant. Her voice stopped me dead. There was something else, as if she was deeply tortured. I didn't turn. I didn't want to give her the satisfaction.

"Why should I, uh?"

"I wasn't always this way," said Smudge, grooming herself. Her gaze was far away. "Better you don't bother yourself with any of this."

I turned, my heart going out to her. Was that cold exterior melting? I jumped up on the golden antique loveseat closer to her. I looked away, not wanting to appear too eager, but couldn't help myself.

"I ain't going nowhere, babe."

"Much you don't, kid."

Before I could answer the male human came into the room. He gave this dumb look the moment he saw us, like his grand plan to make us fall in love was at last coming true. As if this fragile animal heart could be so easily manipulated.

I'd been burned by love before. Indeed, love is a war, and this soldier had already earned a purple heart. I wasn't quite so eager to put myself in the line of fire, at least not unless I'm calling the shots.

"Oliver, oo-rah-roe-mwow droh-roh outside," he said. Sill learning human. It is a bit not-subtle, shall I say, not like feline; the drop of an ear, the arch of a back, a flip of a tail that speaks volumes.

"Got to go, toots," I jumped down off the love seat and bolted for the patio door.

"Wait," said smudge,but it was lready too late. The door opened and I dodged into the yard. Rounin the corner I suddenly found myself nose to nose with the biggest, fattest squirrel I'd ever seen...

No comments:

Post a Comment